Friday, March 16, 2018

How a new client find its Domain Controller

In my new post, I want to show you how a new Windows Client locate its Domain Controller. Find attached a picture, I draw some time ago, yea just with paint ^^. I think it´s a nice overview about this process.






So you see in the first step anything happening in a zone called _msdcs. Maybe some of you asking yourself, what is this _msdcs subdomain? I will try to explain it to you a little bit more… An Active Directory forest have a subdomain beneath them called _msdcs. This subdomain is unique and used for the registration of specific Microsoft DNS services records. Why? Microsoft is not the only company who developed Directory Services using LDAP. Therefore, with _msdcs Microsoft can specifically bind a client to its LDAP Servers / Domain Controllers.

No comments:

Post a Comment